As we age, we experience lots of new things. Many people say age brings wisdom, knowledge, and understanding. However, our senior years don’t alway bring things we enjoy. People who suffer from extensive amounts of wrinkles on their hands, neck, or face will can often attest to that first hand.
Internal Causes Of Wrinkles
For some, wrinkles are just a natural part of life based around a natural decrease in collagen. As Scientific American states, collagen – the protein associated with skin firmness – decreases in the body by one percent every year after the age of 20. Because of this, our skin thins and folds in on itself. In addition to a natural decrease in this protein, some doctors think genetics could contribute to the aging process. According to Los Angeles–based dermatologist Alex A. Khadavi, MD, “The likelihood of developing wrinkles, as well as the onset, degree and depth of your lines, is influenced by genetics.” Therefore, if you spot wrinkles in the hands of your grandparents or parents, your body will probably develop them, too.
External Causes Of Wrinkles
In addition to the unavoidable contributing factors for developing wrinkles, external issues play a major part in speeding up the process. Some of these factors include:
- UV Rays: Although the warmth of the sun feels great on your skin, sunlight is said to be the most common culprit of wrinkles (even before genetics). In fact, one study done over the course of three years found that UV rays account for 80.3 percent of skin aging.
- Smoking: Not only is smoking bad for your health, but it negatively impacts the aging process as well. After only 10 years of smoking, you can start to see signs of aging, including wrinkles. This happens because blood vessels in the outermost layer of your skin start to constrict when nicotine enters the body; this lessens the amount of blood flow to the skin. Due to interrupted blood flow, the skin loses essential oxygen and vitamins, which leads to aging and wrinkling.
- Drinking Alcohol: Even though a small glass of alcohol is fine on special occasions, heavy drinkers might start to notice their skin wrinkling than expected faster over time. Because alcohol dehydrates your body, skins starts to lose its elasticity when repeatedly exposed to the effects of drinking. James C. Marotta, M.D explains, “Alcohol can have a huge negative impact on your vitamin A level, which is a very important antioxidant for your skin and body, and it is vital in the regeneration of new cells.” Vitamin A is also essential for collagen production which, as we learned earlier, aids in the firmness of our skin.
In order to look and feel younger, people have tried all sorts of ways to reverse the aging process and eliminate wrinkles. However, not all of them leave you feeling satisfied with the results. If you’re looking for a method that decrease the appearance of your wrinkles and leave you feeling happy with your decision, talk to your dermatologist about these possible solutions.
- Use A Good Skin Care Cream: Aside from keeping your skin moisturized, your skin care products need to include necessary ingredients to fight the aging process. Check the ingredients section on the bottle for things like antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and cell-repairing additives.
- Apply Sunscreen Regularly: Sunscreen is probably one of the most effective ways to slow the aging process and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. One study focusing on the effects of sunscreen on wrinkles showed that those who used the sunscreen (as opposed to other topical creams) were better off in preventing wrinkles. Specifically, the subjects who used sunscreen everyday were 24 percent less likely to show lines or coarseness in the skin.
- Schedule A Laser Treatment Session: For those who want an excess amount of wrinkles removed in a smaller time frame, a laser treatment session may be for you. At our Aerolase Laser Centers, we specialize in laser skin treatment options for wrinkle and skin aging reversal. We use our medical laser to refresh, reveal, or renew your skin to bring a youthful look back to your appearance. If interested in this potential treatment, we highly recommend contacting our staff to schedule an informational appointment.
Overall, the body’s aging process is a complicated routine to understand. But in the end, by knowing what makes you wrinkle faster and learning how to treat the symptoms of aging, anyone can develop a method that will help them bring a little youth back into their look.